- This event has passed.
Complete Composting – Full
March 27 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$40
Join Convivium Urban Farmstead and Dubuque Metropolitan Area Solid Waste Agency (DMASWA) in a project to measure and minimize food waste in Dubuque, Iowa. This project looks to quantify the impact of local, backyard composting which contributes to city-wide efforts of reducing waste and conserving natural resources.
Our four week composting class, instructed by Convivium’s Farm Manager, A.J. Shultz, will teach you how to turn your kitchen scraps and yard waste into fertile compost. As a participant, you will:
- gain an in-depth knowledge of the compost ecosystem and outdoor composting basics
- build and take home a dual compartment outdoor compost bin and countertop collector
- learn about vermicomposting and take home a worm bin
- be connected to a network of past class participants and Convivium staff who will provide support and advice during and after the completion of the program
- be reimbursed your $40 class deposit upon submission of your food waste log
In order to successfully measure our impact, participants will be expected to:
- attend all four complete composting class sessions
- install their dual compartment outdoor compost
- measure and record the amount of food waste you compost for three months after completion of the class (scales will be provided)
- submit your food waste log to Convivium and receive your $40 deposit back!
Sign up now to be a part of this group effort to create a culture of composting here in Dubuque!
There are only 20 slots available between two class sessions: January 23 – February 13 and March 27 – April 17. Classes will be held Wednesday evenings. CLASS DEPOSIT: $40*. Purchase tickets here.
Scholarship slots available based on need. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for scholarship information or with any questions.
*the $40 class deposit will be returned to you upon submission of your food waste log, recording the weight of composted material for three months.
This program is sponsored by the Dubuque Metropolitan Area Solid Waste Agency.